Urban Rez Solutions Social Enterprise offers community-based and culturally-relevant advocacy support to Black students and families residing in Scarborough, ON.
Urban Rez works directly with your family to develop individual strategies for helping you and your child to overcome barriers when navigating school processes and systems.
Are you a Black Parent/Caregiver living in Scarborough?
Do you have questions about the education system?
Do you feel your child is being treated unfairly at school?
Is your child being bullied or experiencing anti-Black racism in school?
Is your child suspended or expelled?
Are you receiving frequent notes at home about your child’s behaviour?
Do you have questions about specialized programs or Independent Education Plans (IEP)?
As your Student and Family Advocate; WE will:
- Support you and your child to navigate the elementary, secondary and postsecondary school system.
- Provide you with skills and knowledge to effectively self-advocate and navigate the education system.
- Advocate for your family during processes like disciplinary practices and parent-teacher communications.
- Ensure students and parents have input and understanding regarding decisions and processes that directly or significantly impact the student.
- Refer students and parents to culturally relevant supports and services.
- Cultivate positive outcomes for Black children, youth and families in schools by providing educational/career/life pathway planning
- Provide leadership, advice and support to schools on anti-Black racism
- Help and train you to effectively engage in your child’s education.